Parenting and Child Conduct Counselings offers Behavioral Parent Skills Training (BPST) to parents of children and adolescents with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder, and other non-clinical behavior problems. Our program is available in a class format or family therapy.This Parent Training therapy/class works like this. The therapist trainer trains the parent how to train their child how to behave in a socially acceptable manner. Simple – right?
In some ways, yes. Although this approach is comprised of simple common sense techniques, the program is challenging to implement. You will find your therapist trainer helpful in explaining some “tricks” to make the program work in your particular situation. If parents study and practice the techniques consistently for long enough, most will find the program helpful in changing their child’s behavior for the better. Assuming parents continue using the fundamental skills and stay positive with their child after therapy is completed, the behavioral change will likely stick and become the norm for your child.
Most parents with an oppositional child will say something to me like, “Nothing works. I’ve tried everything. Every time I use punishment, he becomes violent. I don’t know what to do.” We deal with those frustrations head-on.
Parents will learn skills and techniques to increase compliance and reduce rule-breaking and aggressive behavior. Although children who behave in an age-appropriate fashion will usually do fine with any positive behavior management style, oppositional children require a slightly different approach, at least for a while.
Statistically, traditional discipline should work for 85% of all children. BPST was developed for the remaining 15% or so who behave outside of social norms.
We won’t make your child behave perfectly. However, I firmly believe that it is possible to teach children with oppositional behavior to behave in an age-appropriate, socially acceptable manner.
Let’s get started!